Well folks, the long crazy process of becoming an au pair has finally come to an end. My visa has arrived back in my arms! Thankfully I didn’t have to schedule an appointment with the consulate like many other au pairs have had to do, so I sent my documents last Thursday and here it is the following Friday and it’s back here in Nova Scotia from Montreal. It’s crazy how fast they completed it considering how much trouble i have had with them in terms of customer service.
So now there’s nothing left for me to do here but wait oh and the lovely process of packing a year’s worth of things I need into two small bags; no biggie.
My family is planning a trip to Maine a couple weeks before I leave and obviously shopping in Maine means lot’s of outlets…. I LOVE the shopping down there, and unfortunately I’, not going to be able to buy anything because my bags are already stuffed as it is. So the question becomes, how will I still enjoy my vacation when my siblings are all able to indulge in what they want and I cant?
1. I have been in charge of mapping our route of where to go and what to do so my main focus has been on planning non-shopping related activities. This includes a must stop to Old Orchard Beach for a day in the sun and a trip to the amusement park of course.
We do have a day planned to shop at the kittery outlets which we haven’t gone to before, and this is going to be hard for me especially with a Lululemon outlet.. kill me now! I am obsessed with this brand, and it’s going to be tough, but i’m praying they won’t have anything I like or in my size!
One thing I will not feel guilty about buying at Lululemon will be wunder under leggings in black. These are the perfect travel pant and since I already own 3 similar pairs I know that I will wear them!
2. Make a list of the things you actually could use and may need. For instance I know that I need to get a pair of new pj’s and a couple pairs of underwear to take with me so I will focus on finding my favorites of those items. I also need a few smaller items like locks, a water bottle, a journal, etc..
3. I’m a huge foodie so I have been researching restaurants and cafes that I want to check out. By knowing what is there I’m looking forward to checking them out as opposed to shopping and buying clothes I don’t need.
The Holey Donut is one of the places on my list of must-eats in Portland! Their donuts are made with maine potatos and are apparently to die for, so i’m going to have to check it out for myself!
4. Leave your extra money at home! I will only be taking my debit card with me and no cash or visa eliminating the urge to splurge!
5. Try and enjoy spending time with the people you are with and plan things that you can enjoy together without spending money. I know that my sister will be looking for back to school clothes so I will be able to help her find clothes without having to buy anything myself.